A number of coatings manufacturers and exterior painting companies are marketing coatings that contain ceramic micro-spheres that are supposed to be heat reflective and provide energy savings by lowering exterior surface temperatures. However, the science does not support these claims.
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has charged at least one of these ceramic-coatings manufacturers (Kryton Coatings International, Inc.) for making unsubstantiated claims, saying that there is no “verifiable evidence” that the company’s coatings can reduce energy costs by up to 40 percent. Another official at the Department of Energy’s Oak Ridge Laboratory stated, “There are many manufacturers out there deceiving the public with the fictitious paints containing magical fu fu dust ceramic beads and nano-particles that reflect the energy away – this is all craziness. These coatings companies are unethical...bad apples in the industry.”
Some companies selling coatings with embedded ceramic micro-spheres base their energy savings claims on the principle that the embedded “beads” are hollow, creating an “air barrier” that reduces thermal conductivity. For comparison’s sake, fiberglass batting only offers an R-value of 3 for every inch of batting installed. A typical coating of ceramic micro-spheres is only about 0.01” thick – hardly enough to make any difference in the R-value of a wall.
Other manufacturers claim their ceramic micro-spheres reflect heat to reduce the temperature of the wall to which they are applied. But they only conducted tests using white coatings, which achieved no more reflective values than a non-ceramic coating of the same color.
TEX-COTE® COOLWALL® DELIVERS PROVEN PERFORMANCE
MidSouth Coatings’ patented TEX-COTE® coating product uses advanced reflective pigments to actually achieve the results that are only claimed by micro-sphere-based coatings. The pigments we use in our coatings use technology developed for the U.S. Navy and the reflective coatings found on advanced “stealth” aircraft. They work.
A study by the U.S. Department of Energy has proven that “solar radiation control is an effective means to decrease energy needs for cooling.” COOLWALL® coatings reflects a significant percentage of non-visible infrared heat to keep the underlying wall cooler, while still allowing a choice of vibrant colors. Don’t be fooled by unproven claims made by other exterior coatings. Only TEX-COTE® from MidSouth Coatings provides proven protection and energy savings.
While most coatings claim to be green by cutting VOCs, only COOLWALL® cuts emissions through reflectivity, utilizes recycled materials, and helps reduce cooling costs. This next-gen exterior coatings product manufactured by TEX-COTE®:
- contains heat reflective properties to reduce surface temperatures and can provide for cooling cost energy savings
- has heat reflective technology that also leads to increased durability and fade resistance due to less expansion and contraction stress on the coating, greatly extending the product life-cycle
- incorporates post-industrial recycled glass to further increase sustainability
- has been recognized by prominent LEED™ accredited professionals as being worthy of submission for LEED credits in up to three of the six LEED categories
- can lower cooling electricity usage during peak demand hours, which can result in significant cost savings*
- allows you to experience lower surface temperatures as a result of increased reflectivity without sacrificing color and visual appeal—providing lower surface temperatures in all colors not just white
- uses the same infrared heat reflective technology used by the U.S. military to reduce radar signatures on its planes and vehicles
- works by reflecting much of the infrared light back into the atmosphere, lowering surface temperatures by up to 40 degrees Fahrenheit*
- incorporates patented FADE BLOCK™ technology that is virtually immune to the effects of harmful UV radiation, which include degrading paint resulting in fading and chalking.
- was tested and proven by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Oak Ridge National Laboratory to reduce cooling costs up to 21.9%*.
TEX-COTE is dedicated to leading the paint and coatings industry in becoming a true “green” manufacturing company and reducing the impact that we all have on the environment. From incorporating recycled content into our product line, to the cooling cost energy savings that can be obtained through COOLWALL® heat reflective coatings, TEX-COTE® is dedicated to working towards a more sustainable future for everyone.
Energy savings of up to 21.9% is based on the Department of Energy study which showed savings on homes with COOLWALL® ranged from 4.2% to 21.9%.
Yes, and it’s not even close. The COOLWALL® System with Kynar Infrared Technology comes in more than 570 colors, each specially formulated to reflect solar heat without fading. The ability of COOLWALL® to keep wall surfaces cooler is based on its ability to reflect a much greater percentage of the non-visible portion of the spectrum relatively unaffected. No regular paint or other coatings can do that.
COOLWALL® is thicker than regular paint (how much thicker depends upon the application) and when applied with MidSouth Coating’s professional 10-step installation process, provides a home’s exterior with maximum protection against the elements. COOLWALL® waterproofs the home while allowing it to breathe and release moisture. The resin in this advanced exterior home coating with Kynar is thermoplastic, so it expands and contracts with the surface of the home, eliminating cracking, splitting, peeling, or coming loose. Finally, the COOLWALL® System comes with a lifetime warranty.
COOLWALL® has been tested by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Oak Ridge National Laboratory to reduce cooling costs by up to 21.9%* (a DOE study showed savings ranging from 4.2 – 21.9%). The percentage of cooling costs and surface temperature reductions will vary based on color chosen, geographical location, climate conditions, and substrate type. The more the AC unit ran before COOLWALL® was applied, the more homeowners will save. In the Gulf Coast region, the savings are more substantial than the north.
The COOLWALL® System comes in more than 570 beautifully resilient colors, but if you need MidSouth Coatings to mix a special color for you, we’re ready, willing, and able to accommodate any request. Don’t forget to try our COOLWALL® color finder first.
The COOLWALL® system is designed to last a lifetime. Testing in the manufacturer’s state-of-the-art xenon weathering chamber showed the COOLWALL® system was still performing beautifully after the equivalent of more than 10 years exposure, with no end in sight.
MidSouth Coatings is pleased to accept personal checks, all major credit cards, or cash payments. We also offer convenient finance options, including 12 months, same as cash. Give us a call to discuss which options work best for you.